Aghabullogue win Intermediate A Football Championship

Photo: George Hatchell


Aghabullogue have been crowned Bon Secours Hospital IAFC winners after defeating Mitchelstown in the final at SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday afternoon.

It completes a remarkable double for the Coachford-based side after they won the IAHC two weeks ago. Aghabullogue lost the 2013, 2018 and 2022 finals but they have now crossed the line at the fourth attempt.

Mitchelstown were missing star Cathail O’Mahony after the Cork senior footballer picked up an injury in training. Aghabullogue’s brilliant first-half display against the wind laid the foundation for glory.

Mitchelstown were aided by the strong wind in the opening half and it took them just a minute to hit the front through a Seán Walsh point. That was quickly cancelled out by a long-range point from Ryan Dennehy.

Seán O’Sullivan restored Mitchelstown’s lead with a fine effort before Matthew Bradley converted a free for his side, 0-2 each in what was a lively opening seven minutes. Aghabullogue struck for a goal after eight minutes, a slick team move resulted in Aaron O’Sullivan setting up his older brother Cialan and the latter drilled the ball to the back of the net, an unstoppable finish.

Bradley was having a big say in proceedings and the lively forward sent over a gorgeous point to push Aghabullogue four points clear after 12 minutes, 1-3 to 0-2. Aghabullogue’s pace was too much for their opposition, and the Muskerry side raised their second green flag through David Thompson with Bradley providing the assist, 2-3 to 0-2 after 13 minutes.

Playing against the wind was no problem for the Coachford side, they hit three points on the trot to open up a ten-point advantage. Mitchelstown got their first score in 23 minutes when Cormac Hyland, just on the pitch, bisected the posts, which was followed by Shane Beston and Dylan Reidy Price white flags, 2-6 to 0-5 after 29 minutes.

Aghabullogue kicked two of the last three points of the half to lead 2-8 to 0-6 at the interval.

The team in green and white were now aided by the wind for the new half, but it was a slow burner as there were only two scores in the first 10 minutes, one from either team, 2-9 to 0-7. Mitchelstown raised five unanswered white flags with Shane Beston slotting over two of those, 2-9 to 0-12 with 15 minutes to play.

Thompson split the posts for Aghabullogue, a much-needed score for them to stem the tide. Aghabullogue netminder Ian O’Sullivan made an outstanding save to deny Beston a certain goal and they went down the other end to point from the boot of John Corkery, 2-11 to 0-12 after 48 minutes.

Aaron O’Sullivan converted a free for his side until Seán Walsh had a goal chance for the Avondhu side but missed the target from close-range. Michael Walsh bisected the posts for the Town before they were reduced to 14 players after 59 minutes when Hyland received a black card.

The sides traded white flags before Mitchelstown scored 1-1, the goal coming from the penalty spot through Shane Cahill, 2-13 to 1-15 after 63 minutes. Aghabullogue held on as they can look forward to playing Premier Intermediate in both codes in 2024.

Scorers for Aghabullogue: D Thompson 1-2, A O’Sullivan 0-4 (0-2 f), M Bradley 0-3 (0-1 f), C O’Sullivan 1-0, J Corkery 0-2, L Casey (f), R Dennehy 0-1 each.

Mitchelstown: S Beston 0-4, S Cahill 1-0 pen, S O’Sullivan, M Walsh (f), D Reidy Price, S Walsh 0-2 each, M Keane (f), J O’Sullivan, C Hyland 0-1 each.

AGHABULLOGUE: I O’Sullivan; B O’Sullivan, S Tarrant, B Casey; A Murphy, P Ring (c), C Smyth; R Dennehy, C Gillespie; J Corkery, M Bradley, A O’Sullivan; D Thompson, E O’Sullivan, C O’Sullivan.

Subs: M Dennehy for A Murphy (6, inj), T Long for B O’Sullivan (27, inj), B Dineen for B Casey (44), L Casey for C O’Sullivan (52), P O’Sullivan for M Bradley (56).

MITCHELSTOWN: L Hanna; L Finn, F Herlihy, K Roche; J O’Sullivan, R Donegan, P Magee; M Keane, D Dineen; S O’Sullivan, D Reidy Price, M Walsh; S Walsh, S Cahill (c), S Beston.

Subs: D Flynn for R Donegan, C Hyland P Magee (both 24), J Sheehan for D Dineen (26), S Kenneally for J Sheehan (34, inj).

Referee: Brian Coniry (Crosshaven).