Cavan pip Cork by a point in Football League

Allianz Football League Division Two

Cavan 0-17 Cork 0-16

By Stephen Barry at Supervalu Páirc Uí Chaoimh

The conversation around Cork football has switched from a promotion push to avoiding relegation after falling to a third consecutive Division Two defeat against Cavan.

Oisín Brady’s 77th-minute fisted point sent the Ulster side home happy before Paddy Lynch’s ninth gave them a late cushion.

That meant Steven Sherlock had to go for goal from a 14-yard free in the ninth added minute. His blast, however, was pushed over the bar in front of 3,533 fans at SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Both sides finished with 14 after Luke Fahy (45th minute) and Pádraig Faulkner (64th) were sent off for picking up yellow and black cards as Cork failed to score from play in the second half.

The result strengthens Cavan’s bid for Sam Maguire football after two years in the Tailteann Cup, leaving them on four points from six. They are the only team in all four divisions yet to concede or score a goal in their three games.

There were late changes on either side, with Christopher Kelly stepping into the Cork goals for Patrick Doyle, while Brían O’Connell and Caoimhín O’Reilly came into the Cavan team for Dara McVeety and Tiarnan Madden.

Cork have been conceding far too much in their opening defeats and Cavan were able to prise them open three times inside 10 minutes. They opted for fisted points on each occasion, one from Ciarán Brady and a pair for O’Reilly.

The Rebels kicked three in a row from Mark Cronin (45), Chris Óg Jones, and Brian O’Driscoll to forge ahead and they also had their chances to break Cavan’s clean-sheet streak.

Eoghan McSweeney had already hit the post with a point effort and he palmed onto the crossbar when set up by great play from Ruairí Deane and Matty Taylor. Ian Maguire then had a shot blocked by Gerard Smith.

Smith was everywhere for the guests, kicking a point and setting up three more.

There were setbacks on either side, with Killian Brady and Fahy both black-carded midway through the first half, while Cavan also lost James Smith to injury.

They still kicked four in a row to retake the lead before half-time with three from Lynch (two frees) and one from Conor Rehill but the hosts hit back with four of their own, via a pair from Jones (who fired just too high for a goal), Colm O’Callaghan, and Brian Hurley. 0-11 to 0-8 at the break.

Then came Cavan’s scoring burst. They kicked six points on the spin, either side of Fahy’s red, two from half-time substitute Cian Madden followed by four from Lynch (three frees).

A Cronin 45 snapped Cork’s 16-minute scoreless spell before a pair of Sherlock frees brought them level by the 74th minute.

It was Cavan now who hadn’t scored for 25 minutes, but they came up trumps at the death.

Scorers for Cavan: Paddy Lynch 0-9 (6fs), Cian Madden, Caoimhín O’Reilly 0-2 each, Gerard Smith, Ciarán Brady, Conor Rehill, Oisín Brady 0-1 each.

Scorers for Cork: Mark Cronin 0-4 (2 45s, 1f), Brian Hurley (2fs), Chris Óg Jones, Steven Sherlock (3fs) 0-3 each, Matty Taylor, Colm O’Callaghan, Brian O’Driscoll 0-1 each.

Cavan: Gary O’Rourke; Oisín Kiernan (Denn), Killian Brady, Jason McLoughlin; Pádraig Faulkner, Niall Carolan, Brían O’Connell; Killian Clarke, James Smith; Ciarán Brady, Gerard Smith, Ryan Donohoe; Paddy Lynch, Ryan O’Neill, Caoimhín O’Reilly.

Subs: Cian Reilly for Kiernan (4-20, temporary), Oisín Brady for J Smith (24, inj), Conor Rehill for O’Connell (29-HT, temporary), Rehill for K Brady (HT), Cian Madden for Donohoe (HT), Tiarnan Madden for Caoimhín O’Reilly (66), Cormac O’Reilly for O’Neill (70+2), C Reilly for Carolan (70+5).

Cork: Christopher Kelly; Maurice Shanley, Daniel O’Mahony, Tommy Walsh; Luke Fahy, Rory Maguire, Matty Taylor; Ian Maguire, Colm O’Callaghan; Eoghan McSweeney, Ruairí Deane, Brian O’Driscoll; Mark Cronin, Brian Hurley, Chris Óg Jones.

Subs: Seán Powter for Cronin (56), Fionn Herlihy for Deane (56), Steven Sherlock for Hurley (60), Darragh Cashman for Shanley (64), Jack Cahalane for McSweeney (70).

Referee: Brendan Griffin (Kerry).